As one of PUMP’s Advocacy + Public Policy Agenda key themes, we support Active + Engaged Residents.
Democracy survives and thrives through the open dialogue and purposeful engagement of its citizens. A platform for participation is crucial to meeting the wants and needs of our diverse communities.
- Policies, programs, and initiatives that help voters become more engaged and knowledgeable.
- Opportunities to engage with elected officials and influence public policy.
- Equitable legislative districts that fairly represent all voting populations.
These are a few of the projects PUMP is actively involved in to ensure the Pittsburgh region has active, engaged residents. Check out our community calendar for additional events and activities to get involved in these and other key regional issues.
- Our kids. Our commitment. – PUMP is a Steering Committee organization of Our kids. Our commitment. working to establish the Allegheny County Children’s Fund.
- End Gerrymandering in PA – PUMP is an Endorsing Organization of Fair Districts PA and supports Pennsylvania legislation to establish an independent commission to draw legislative and congressional districts that are representative and equitable.
- Elected Forums – PUMP, in partnership with Urban League Young Professionals of Greater Pittsburgh, hosted a Town Hall with Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto and County Executive Rich Fitzgerald focused on the issues that matter most to young people in the Pittsburgh region.
- Candidate Debates – PUMP, in partnership with Urban League Young Professionals of Greater Pittsburgh, presented a 2017 Pittsburgh Mayoral Candidate Forum focused on the issues that matter most to young people in Pittsburgh.
- Ready to Run – PUMP continues to serve as a promotional sponsor for the Chatham University Pennsylvania Center for Women and Politics Ready to Run campaign training for women program on an annual basis.
- Civic Engagement – PUMP shares information about upcoming elections, voter registration deadlines, polling places prior to the major regional elections as well as details on how to run for office.