As one of PUMP’s Advocacy + Public Policy Agenda key themes, we support a Diverse + Connected Region.
The ability for people to affordably and conveniently commute around Pittsburgh, addressing systemic inequities, and affordable neighborhoods are hallmarks of a progressive, human-centered community that is welcoming to all.
- Visibility, recognition, and representation of positive diverse individuals, cultures, and values in leadership and positions of power.
- Diverse, inclusive, affordable neighborhoods and communities.
- World-class, multi-modal transportation infrastructure that supports and fosters community and regional connectivity.
- Spaces and opportunities for all residents to engage in dialogue and action to address diversity, inclusion, social justice and racism.
- Protection and support for immigrants, refugees, formerly incarcerated individuals, and other vulnerable populations.
- Affordable accessible high-speed internet and leading-edge technology for all.
These are a few of the projects PUMP is actively involved in to make the Pittsburgh region a more vibrant, diverse, and connected place for all. Check out our community calendar for additional events and activities to get involved in these and other key regional issues.
- Our kids. Our commitment. – PUMP is a Steering Committee organization of Our kids. Our commitment. working to establish the Allegheny County Children’s Fund.
- Fair Housing – PUMP is a member organization of the Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing (AFFH) Task Force of the Pittsburgh Commission on Human Relations
- Transit and Transportation – PUMP endorses the Regional Transportation Alliance’s Seven Principles for a Better Transportation Future through a letter of support that includes additional language about the importance of transportation equity.
- Hate Crimes Legislation – PUMP supports Pennsylvania House Bill 505 and Senate Bill 96, Hate Crimes Expansion Bills, that expand the offense of ethnic intimidation to include malicious intention against the actual or perceived ancestry, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity of another individual or group of individuals.
- Anti-Discrimination Protections – PUMP supports Pennsylvania Senate Bill 613 and House Bill 1410, the PA Fairness Act, that extend anti-discrimination protections to include sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
- 40 Under 40 Awards – Each year PUMP and Pittsburgh Magazine produce the 40 Under 40 awards to acknowledge the accomplishments and positive impact of 40 excellent, diverse young people in the Pittsburgh region.
- Steel City World Cup – PUMP, in collaboration with Pittsburgh Soccer in the Community, Pittsburgh Riverhounds, and Welcoming Pittsburgh, created and hosts the Steel City World Cup which brings together the region’s global community for soccer and celebration.
- Coro Pittsburgh MLK Leadership Awards – PUMP sponsored the 11th Annual Coro Pittsburgh MLK Leadership Awards celebrating those in our community who have made significant accomplishments towards the common good by modeling Dr. King’s inclusive approach to leadership.
- All for All Summit – PUMP serves as a sponsor for the All for All Summit which convenes professionals to discuss immigrant integration in their work.