As one of PUMP’s Advocacy + Public Policy Agenda key themes, we support Equitable Opportunities for Success.
Access to a diverse array of educational opportunities, funding for job-creating entrepreneurs, and fostering a competitive business environment will pave the way for employment opportunities that all of our region’s residents can benefit from.
- Access to affordable, high-quality education and workforce development opportunities for all children and adults.
- Equitable access to individual, community, and financial support for education, employment, and entrepreneurship.
- A competitive business environment that fosters job creation and innovation by employers that support equitable opportunities and good paying jobs.
These are a few of the projects PUMP is actively involved in to ensure the Pittsburgh region has more equitable opportunities for success for all. Check out our community calendar for additional events and activities to get involved in these and other key regional issues.
- Vote School Board First PGH – PUMP is a member of Vote School Board First PGH, a campaign to educate and engage voters around Pittsburgh School Board elections. This year, there will be primary elections in School Board Districts 2, 4, 6, and 8 on May 21, 2019.
- PUMPed to Run – PUMPed to Run is a weekday morning running group composed of residents of local homeless shelters and volunteer mentor runners. Through the leadership of PUMP staff and an Advisory Council, the program seeks to encourage sportsmanship and a team mentality to help set physical running goals, promote confidence, and encourage self-sufficiency.
- Welcoming Interactive + Welcoming Economies Convening (WIE) – PUMP is part of the local host committee for the 2019 Welcoming Interactive + Welcoming Economies Convening, which will take place in Pittsburgh from May 15-17, 2019. WIE is a national conference organized by Welcoming America and the WE Global Network that brings together more than 400 community leaders from across the US to address immigrant inclusion.
- Education Funding and Equity – PUMP is a supporting organization of Pre-K for PA. PUMP also testified at the Pittsburgh Public Schools 2018 budget hearing regarding a committed focus on equity.
- All for All Summit – PUMP serves as a sponsor for the All for All Summit which convenes professionals to discuss immigrant integration in their work.
- A+ Schools Changemakers Celebration – PUMP serves as a sponsor of A+ Schools Changemakers Celebration which honors education innovators, student leaders, parents, teachers, and volunteers in Pittsburgh’s education community.
- Our kids. Our commitment. – PUMP is a Steering Committee organization for Our kids. Our commitment., which in 2018 advocated for the Allegheny County Children’s Fund, a ballot initiative to support programs proven to ensure the wellbeing of kids: early childhood learning, after school programs, and nutritious meals. Although it did not pass, new partnerships and thousands of conversations about how all of us in Allegheny County can invest in our kids began. The coalition remains committed to creating positive change.