The National Women’s History Alliance has named the theme of Women’s History Month 2021 “Valiant Women of the Vote: Refusing to Be Silenced” an extension of the 2020 theme. 2020 marked 100 years since white women’s suffrage in the United States. Celebrations for last year’s centennial were disrupted by the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic – a disruption that has laid bare stubborn inequities across gender, race, class, and more.
As we honor the voices of women throughout history and today, we must, in particular, raise up the voices of women and femmes whose experiences of gender have been shaped by the intersections of race, ability, LGBTQIA+ identity, immigrant status, and more. Even as we celebrate progress, we must confront and challenge the continued inequities that women face.
Here in Pittsburgh, there are many events, resources, and more to help you learn about and celebrate women’s history, along with countless organizations that work to serve and empower women. We hope you will find opportunities that speak to you in March and throughout the year.
Women of Color Herstory Month – February 15th – March 15th, 2021:
- In honor of both Black History Month and Women’s History Month, New Voices for Reproductive Justice celebrates the power, legacy, and achievements of women of color from February 15-March 15, 2021. Learn more here.
- Black Women, Green Future: Environmental Justice & the New Political Landscape – New Voices and Women of Color HERStory Month – February 25
- Hidden Gems: Power-Building through Intergenerational Conversations – New Voices and Women of Color HERStory Month – March 3
- Black Gold: Radiance through Radical Self-Care – New Voices and Women of Color HERStory Month – March 9
- Majestically Speaking: The Magic of Black Joy – New Voices and Women of Color HERStory Month – March 15
- IWD2021 Panel: Teaching Girls Leadership Through Sport in the Global South – Open Field and World Affairs Council of Pittsburgh – March 5
- A Community for Women Resource Fair – Veterans Leadership Program, Adagio Health, and Dress for Success Pittsburgh – March 6
- Celebrating Women’s History Month “Cookie Style” with Jasmine Cho – Kidsburgh and Remake Learning Days – March 6
- Women Business Leaders Breakfast “At Home” Series: The Status of Gender Equity in the City of Pittsburgh and What Does it Mean to You – Center for Women’s Entrepreneurship – March 12
- Sisters Rising: Native Women Reclaiming Sovereignty – Just Films – March 23
- VIRTUAL BROWN BAG SERIES – Pittsburgh Gender Scholars Consortium – March 25
Women’s History Month Resources:
- National Women’s History Alliance
- National Women’s History Museum
- Women’s History Month Programming Schedule (WQED)
- Women Forging the Way (Heinz History Center)
Support Women-Led and Women’s Empowerment Organizations and Initiatives:
- Adagio Health
- Chatham University’s Center for Women’s Entrepreneurship
- Chatham University’s Pennsylvania Center for Women & Politics
- Dress for Success
- Ellevate Pittsburgh
- New Voices for Reproductive Justice
- Pennsylvania Women Work
- Sisters PGH
- Strong Women, Strong Girls
- WMNBike PGH
- Women’s Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh
- Women & Girls Foundation
- Women for a Healthy Environment
- Women’s Law Project
- YWCA Center for Race and Gender Equity
We will continue to update this list throughout March. If you know of an event, organization, or resource that we missed, please submit it to our community calendar or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!