PUMPed to Run is a weekday morning running group composed of residents of local homeless shelters and volunteer mentor runners. Through the leadership of PUMP staff and an Advisory Council, the PUMPed to Run program seeks to encourage sportsmanship and a team mentality to help set physical running goals, promote confidence, and encourage self-sufficiency. We will ensure that everyone has a place, a voice, and access to information and resources to be healthy and confident.
There are four ways to get involved in PUMPed to Run:
- Run or walk! You can register to be a runner or walker with PUMPed to Run. As a volunteer we expect an encouraging attitude, a commitment to attending the runs, and an excitement to being there to get to know the participants. Runs generally take place at 6:00 am, 9:00 am, 5:30 pm or 6:15 pm – depending on the location. All participants must sign a waiver. If you are interested in being a volunteer mentor, or want to learn more, please register here.
- Want to volunteer but can’t make the time? There are lots of other ways to get involved and volunteer with us. Email Jaime@pump.org and tell her what makes you passionate about our program and we will find a way to get you involved!
- Donate running gear! We are accepting new and lightly used running shoes and clothes for our homeless runners. We are committed to safely outfitting all interested homeless runners. Have something to give? Email Jaime@pump.org. We are in need of men’s shorts and pants in all sizes, and women’s XL and larger pants, shirts, long-sleeved shirts and sports bras.
- Financial support! We are grateful for any support you can give the PUMPed to Run program. Your donations will help purchase running shoes, running clothes, race bibs, and an occasional morning coffee or treat. Donations can be of any monetary value you would like or you can think about becoming a tiered supporter:
- 5k Support – $50 Running shoes and PSL shirt for one homeless runner
- 10k Support – $75 Running shoes, PSL shirt and running pants/shorts for one homeless runner
- Half-Marathon Support – $100 Running shoes, PSL shirt, running pants/shorts and sweatshirt for one homeless runner
- Marathon Support – $150 Running shoes, PSL shirt, running pants/shorts, sweatshirt and race bib for local race for one homeless runner.
Thank you to our PUMPed to Run 2018 Advisory Board Members for their service this year!
Mentor with us!
From PUMPed to Run to our wide range of annual special events, programming, and activities, we depend on the passion and commitment of our wonderful volunteers who help us make it all possible. A heartfelt thanks to everyone who continues to support PUMP and the Pittsburgh region. Volunteer Today