PUMP has a long history of advocating and caring for our city and region through issue based public policy programming.
- Identify the core issues young Pittsburghers believe are important to our future
- Find out how PUMP constituents want to get involved to create change
This multi-phase and deliberative process involved PUMP members, program partners, board, staff, and key stakeholders to identify and articulate a community-driven advocacy and public policy agenda for the region. Throughout 2016, hundreds of individuals participated through in-person and online activities, ensuring that as many viewpoints as possible were heard and represented. We received over 11,000 responses.
From this outreach and reflection, our advocacy and public policy agenda emerged; it is our community’s vision for change.
Our 16-point advocacy and public policy agenda includes 4 key themes:
Diverse + Connected Region
- Visibility, recognition, and representation of positive diverse individuals, cultures, and values in leadership and positions of power.
- Diverse, inclusive, affordable neighborhoods and communities.
- World-class, multi-modal transportation infrastructure that supports and fosters community and regional connectivity.
- Spaces and opportunities for all residents to engage in dialogue and action to address diversity, inclusion, social justice and racism.
- Protection and support for immigrants, refugees, formerly incarcerated individuals, and other vulnerable populations.
- Affordable accessible high-speed internet and leading-edge technology for all.
Equitable Opportunities for Success
- Access to affordable, high-quality education and workforce development opportunities for all children and adults.
- Equitable access to individual, community, and financial support for education, employment, and entrepreneurship.
- A competitive business environment that fosters job creation and innovation by employers that support equitable opportunities and good paying jobs.
Active + Engaged Residents
- Policies, programs, and initiatives that help voters become more engaged and knowledgeable.
- Opportunities to engage with elected officials and influence public policy.
- Equitable legislative districts that fairly represent all voting populations.
Equitable Access to Health + Wellness
- Affordable, high quality, comprehensive healthcare options for all.
- Accessible, safe recreational spaces and activities in every neighborhood.
- Access to affordable, healthy food in every neighborhood.
- Clean air and water for all including green infrastructure and sustainable practices.
At its heart, the agenda is about equity. PUMP defines “equity” as fair access, treatment and rights under the law and within society as a whole. Consistent with our vision and core values, the issue of equity is ever present within and across all the issues, concepts, and ideas included in PUMP’s advocacy and public policy agenda. We are committed to equity for all in everything we do.
Endorse PUMP’s Advocacy + Policy Agenda!
To date, over 500 individuals have endorsed our agenda! Join with PUMP and lend your voice to our efforts to make Pittsburgh the very best place and a home for ALL! Thank you for supporting PUMP’s advocacy and public policy program.
By adding my name and contact information below, I am endorsing the concepts outlined in PUMP’s Advocacy + Public Policy Agenda.