- This event has passed.
Landlord-Tenant Town Hall and Speak-Out
March 12, 2019 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
In collaboration with Pennsylvanians for Modern Courts (PMC), District Judge Mik Pappas is hosting and moderating this Landlord-Tenant Town Hall and Speak-Out.
The purpose of this event is to educate community members regarding the procedures and laws that apply in landlord-tenant cases, and to provide the community with a safe space to express diverse and opposing perspectives regarding affordable housing and landlord-tenant relations in the East End.
Every attendee will be provided with an up-to-date Landlord-Tenant Handbook, produced by PMC with the support of the Pittsburgh Foundation, as well as concrete answers to the following questions (among others):
- What are the legal issues that come up in Landlord-Tenant cases before district judges; how do we (and how do we not) present them to a judge?
- What resources are available to landlords and tenants who need help with making home repairs or catching up on rent?
- What policy initiatives are underway at the state and local level to protect long-time residents and property owners, and increase access to affordable housing?
- What deters landlords from participating in affordable housing programs like Section 8, and how can we incentivize their participation?
- How can we as neighbors support each other and hold each other accountable in the context of landlord-tenant relations?
There will be free childcare at this event.