Let’s revolutionize our kids’ futures together!
In 2018, PUMP became one of ten nonprofit organizations on the steering committee of Our kids. Our commitment. This coalition came together with the goal of improving the well-being of kids in Allegheny County. We are working together with dozens of community partners and neighbors to revolutionize the way we support our kids’ futures to ensure the health and well-being of children across the county.
As part of PUMP’s Advocacy + Public Policy Agenda, which outlines our vision for a more equitable region, we support:
- Equitable opportunities for success for all, including access to affordable, high quality educational opportunities
- Access to affordable, healthy food in every neighborhood
- Opportunities for residents to be active and engaged in public policy
All kids deserve opportunities for success and to be safe and healthy. Plus, investing in our kids is essential to creating the region we envision. We believe in what’s proven to work for our kids and our communities: early learning, after school programs and good nutrition.
The first effort of the Our kids. Our commitment. steering committee was the Allegheny County Children’s Fund ballot initiative. We developed a proposed amendment to the Allegheny County Home Rule Charter that would establish the Office of the Allegheny County Children’s Fund to support early learning, after school programs, and nutritious meals through a 0.25 mils increase in real estate tax. During the 2018 election cycle, we brought this proposal to the voters through the ballot referendum process. While the ballot ultimately did not succeed on Election Day (Nov. 6, 2019), we are proud that the initiative resulted in thousands of conversations about how all of us in Allegheny County can invest in our children and our region’s future.
We hope you’ll join us in continuing this and other important discussions to ensure a more equitable region for all to live, work, and play! Sign up to receive our e-newsletter and follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay connected.
Our kids. Our commtiment. Timeline:
May 2018 – Public Launch of Ballot Initiative
June 18th-August 7th – Petition Circulation Period
- GOAL: Collect approximately 36,000 signatures to qualify the Allegheny County Children’s Fund question for the ballot in the 49 day time limit
- OUTCOME: We collected 63,499 signatures and successfully qualified the question for the ballot, making history in Allegheny County
August 8th-Nov. 6th – Spread the word and encourage everyone to vote yes!
- GOAL: Raise awareness of the Allegheny County Children’s Fund ballot question and receive a majority YES vote on Election Day
- OUTCOME: We knocked on 13,000 doors, called 65,000 people, had hundreds of conversations at community events throughout the county, had 18 million online impressions, and activated 200 volunteers; we received 247,000+ votes on Election Day, falling just short of a big win for our kids
Next Steps – Keep advocating for our kids in Allegheny County
- Follow Our kids. Our commitment. on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to stay up-to-date as we continue to work to improve the well-being of kids
- Connect with the other steering committee organizations and support the important work that they are doing: Allies for Children, APOST (Allegheny Partners for Out-of-School Time), Higher Achievement, Human Services Center Corporation, Mentoring Partnership, Pressley Ridge, Trying Together, United Way of Southwestern PA, and YWCA Greater Pittsburgh
In the News
PUMP and partners announce Our...Let’s revolutionize our kids’ futur...
Our kids. Our commitment. Peti...Today, we celebrated the petition s...
Our Kids. Our Commitment. is o...Vote YES to establish the Allegheny...
Volunteer as a Door Knocker wi...Volunteer with us to increase the n...
Our 16-point advocacy and public policy agenda includes 4 key themes:
Diverse + Connected Region
- Visibility, recognition, and representation of positive diverse individuals, cultures, and values in leadership and positions of power.
- Diverse, inclusive, affordable neighborhoods and communities.
- World-class, multi-modal transportation infrastructure that supports and fosters community and regional connectivity.
- Spaces and opportunities for all residents to engage in dialogue and action to address diversity, inclusion, social justice and racism.
- Protection and support for immigrants, refugees, formerly incarcerated individuals, and other vulnerable populations.
- Affordable accessible high-speed internet and leading-edge technology for all.
Equitable Opportunities for Success
- Access to affordable, high-quality education and workforce development opportunities for all children and adults.
- Equitable access to individual, community, and financial support for education, employment, and entrepreneurship.
- A competitive business environment that fosters job creation and innovation by employers that support equitable opportunities and good paying jobs.
Active + Engaged Residents
- Policies, programs, and initiatives that help voters become more engaged and knowledgeable.
- Opportunities to engage with elected officials and influence public policy.
- Equitable legislative districts that fairly represent all voting populations.
Equitable Access to Health + Wellness
- Affordable, high quality, comprehensive healthcare options for all.
- Accessible, safe recreational spaces and activities in every neighborhood.
- Access to affordable, healthy food in every neighborhood.
- Clean air and water for all including green infrastructure and sustainable practices.
At its heart, the agenda is about equity. PUMP defines “equity” as fair access, treatment and rights under the law and within society as a whole. Consistent with our vision and core values, the issue of equity is ever present within and across all the issues, concepts, and ideas included in PUMP’s advocacy and public policy agenda. We are committed to equity for all in everything we do.
Endorse PUMP’s Advocacy + Policy Agenda!
To date, over 500 individuals have endorsed our agenda! Join with PUMP and lend your voice to our efforts to make Pittsburgh the very best place and a home for ALL! Thank you for supporting PUMP’s advocacy and public policy program.
By adding my name and contact information below, I am endorsing the concepts outlined in PUMP’s Advocacy + Public Policy Agenda.