It’s been a privilege to share the Allegheny County Children’s Fund initiative (Our kids. Our commitment.) with voters throughout our communities. We want to share some of the positive energy and joy that has emerged through conversations with neighbors and community members. Below, you’ll find stories, news coverage, and plenty of reasons to join us in voting YES on Nov. 6 to establish the Allegheny County Children’s Fund to support early learning, after school programs, and nutrition.
With less than a week until Election Day, make sure you’re prepared to cast your vote on this important question by reading the ballot question, checking out the website, and talking to friends, family, coworkers, and neighbors.
A few key leaders who are voting YES:
- Some of the amazing women at YWCA Greater Pittsburgh
- Mayor Marita Garrertt of Wilkinsburg
- Charlie Batch, former Steeler and Founder of Best of the Batch
- José Rodriguez, Board President of Neighborhood Learning Alliance
- Rosamaria Cristello, Executive Director and Founder of the Latino Community Center
- Kara McFadden, Graduate Student and Young Professional
- Samantha Link Ellwood, Executive Director of Providence Connections Early Learning Center
2 examples of early learning centers that hope you will vote YES:
A few Letters to the Editor from advocates and supporters:
- A modest price to pay – Michael Freedman
- More opportunities for children – Pamela Vingle and Randy Thomas
- Great effort for children – Lynda McFarland
- Show commitment to the kids in our city – James Doyle, Executive Director of Higher Achievement (one of the ten steering committee organizations for the Our kids. Our commitment. initiative)
- Kids in Allegheny County are worth it – Nikki Costulas
- From the Front Lines: Pre-K works – This op-ed was submitted on behalf of kindergarten and pre-K teachers Chuck Herring (South Fayette); Jaclyn Kean (Avonworth); Tamara Ekis (McKeesport); Erin Sypin (McKeesport); Amanda Galloway (Gateway); Stephanie Forga (Gateway); Sara Podvasnik (Duquense); and Nicole Eiben (Duquesne).
And finally: 5 Reasons to Vote Yes for our kids on Nov. 6
Want to learn more? Read the ballot question and the proposed amendment. Ready to vote yes and want to help us out? Sign up to volunteer at the polls on Election Day to pass out information to voters!