Every 10 years, following the U.S. Census, states, municipalities, and other jurisdictions must redraw district lines to reflect demographic and population change. Under current redistricting laws in Pennsylvania, elected officials control how districts are drawn, allowing legislators to pick their voters – instead of empowering voters to pick their representatives. We support legislation to establish an independent citizens’ commission to draw legislative and congressional districts in Pennsylvania.
In the 2021-2022 redistricting cycle, we advocated for transparent processes with opportunities for public input to prevent gerrymandering at the state and local levels.
Endorsing Organization of Fair Districts PA
PUMP is an endorsing organization of Fair Districts PA, a nonpartisan, statewide coalition of organizations and individuals working to create a process for redistricting that is transparent, impartial, and fair.
Steering Committee Member for Draw the Lines PA
PUMP is a member of Draw the Lines PA’s Western Pennsylvania Steering Committee. Draw the Lines PA is a statewide civic education and engagement initiative for Pennsylvanians to draw election maps. Its parent organization is the Committee of Seventy.
PUMP supports county, city, and school board redistricting processes that are fair, equitable, transparent, and allow for public input.
- Provide Feedback on Draft Congressional and Legislative Maps
- Redistricting is Here: A Guide to Pennsylvania’s Process and Your Role
- Support the Legislative and Congressional Redistricting Act
- Pennsylvania Redistricting Reform Commission Releases Final Report – Thank You and Next Steps
- PUMP Calls for Citizen-Led Redistricting Process in Comments to PA Redistricting Reform Commission
- Gov. Wolf’s PA Redistricting Reform Commission – Share Your Feedback
- Governor Wolf Announces Bipartisan Pennsylvania Redistricting Reform Commission
- Updates to Redistricting Reform Efforts in Pennsylvania + PUMP’s Position: June 14, 2018
- Calls to Action on Redistricting Reform in PA: Senate Wins + New House Opportunities – PUMP
- Call to Action: Tell House Speaker Rep. Turzai We Want Fair Hearings on Redistricting Reform Bills
- Community Forum on Gerrymandering & Redistricting
- Extreme Redistricting Mapped Out
- After November: Slaying the Gerrymander in PA in 2021 – PUMP
- 2020 Rally to End Gerrymandering with Fair Districts PA – PUMP
- Ending Gerrymandering in PA: Where things stand – April 2019 – PUMP
- Volunteer with Fair Districts PA at the Polls on Special Election Day (4/2/19) – PUMP
- Gerrymandering 101 with Draw the Lines PA – PUMP
- Draw the Lines PA Spring 2019 Competition – Deadline May 31, 2019 – PUMP
- Slay the Gerrymander Happy Hour – PUMP
- Gerrymandering in PA: Update + Call to Action 6/28/18 – PUMP
- Contact Your Legislators: Hearing on Senate Bill 22 (Anti-Gerrymandering Legislation) on April 24 – PUMP
- PA Senate State Government Committee Hearing on Senate Bill 22 (Anti-Gerrymandering Legislation) – PUMP
- PUMP Participates in Fair Districts PA Rally Against Gerrymandering in Harrisburg on 4/16
- Rep. Metcalfe Amends PA House Bill 722, Undermining Anti-Gerrymandering Legislation
- An Evening with FairVote’s David Daley on Gerrymandering – PUMP
- Slay the Gerrymander Run & Bar Games – PUMP
- Fair Districts PA – Work the Polls for March 13 Special Elections – PUMP
- PUMP Supports Legislation to End Partisan Gerrymandering in PA
- PA Supreme Court Orders New Congressional Maps before Primaries – PUMP
- Local and State Progress on Gerrymandering in PA – PUMP